Planning Your Plastic Surgery Recovery Space
Serving Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Many of the elective procedures offered by Dr. Barber, such as breast augmentation or facelifts are significant surgeries, and may have long recovery periods. It is a good idea to plan ahead for your convalescence by setting up a recovery space at home. Find out all you can about the procedure you elect to have, and try to account for problems before they arise.
What Needs to Be Included
Your recovery space should include:
- Easy access to the bathroom
- A telephone
- A comfortable place to lay down
- A prop to elevate your legs
- Plenty of fluids
- Pain medication nearby
- Any dressings necessary (based on procedure)
- Entertainment (books, music, TV, or video games (if not too active))
If you live by yourself, plan to have somebody stop in or call on a regular basis to ensure there are no emergencies during your convalescence. Also, frequent visitors will engage your mind, and not only make time go by more quickly, but keep you energized and refreshed.
After surgery you do not want to just lie around. It is important to get adequate exercise to improve your circulation, which in turn promotes healing. Some easy exercises to conduct include:
- Short walks Not just trips to the bathroom; real walks around the block, or at least down the street for a short distance.
- Stretching Many small stretches can be conducted while relaxing with a book or watching TV.
- Light weights Keep any weights you might use by your bedside or couch and put yourself on an exercise schedule.
Dr. Barber can make additional recommendations based on your specific procedure.
During recovery, it is important to have an adequate food intake with proper nutrition. Avoid saturated fats and other heavy foods, but make sure you get a proper balance of carbohydrates and protein. As your body heals, it will need the protein and energy provided in a proper diet.
Stress inhibits healing so plan ahead to reduce stress.
- Take plenty of time off work
- Get somebody to look after the kids
- Read and listen to relaxing music
Review your recovery plan with Pittsburgh Cosmetic Surgeon Dr. Barber, and he will let you know if there is anything else you should be doing while recuperating and getting back to normal. Remember, our professional staff has been helping people for decades, and they will be able to help you adequately prepare yourself for your operation. To learn more about the specific preparations that should be made, call or email us today.